Intervene on FERC Process for PennEast's Application for Amendment
March 8, 2019 is the deadline for Intervening in the FERC Process for the PennEast Pipeline Project Application for Amendment.
On February 15, 2019, the Federal Energy Regulatory Commission (FERC) issued a Notice of Application for Amendment (“Notice”) regarding the PennEast Pipeline Company, LLC’s (PennEast) application under section 7(c) of the Natural Gas Act (NGA) and Part 157 of the Commission’s regulations to amend the certificate of public convenience and necessity and related authorizations issued by the Commission on January 19, 2018. The proposed modifications to the PennEast Pipeline include a series of route realignments and adjustments in Luzerne, Carbon, Monroe, and Northampton Counties, in Pennsylvania. The Notice invites the public to provide motions to intervene before March 8, 2019 at 5:00 pm.
Intervening on a project that has been filed for approval with FERC is important and valuable: it shows how strongly you are opposed to a project, it preserves your rights to bring a legal challenge should you wish to do so down the road, and it ensures you will be fully informed about every step of the process as it goes forward through email notifications.
Here are Step by Step Instructions on How to Intervene Online for a FERC Pipeline Docket as well as the text needed for the intervention document you will want to file.
Below are step by step instructions for intervening via the FERC website. If you have not yet registered on the FERC website with your email address, you will have to do so in order to log in or register:
- Go to the FERC.gov website
- On the top of the website, click on the tab called Documents and Filings
- Select eRegister
- or register
- On the left side of the screen, select the tab for Efiling
- On the main section of the screen, three columns will appear. On the left of the three columns, select general
- Then on center of the three columns select intervention
- On the right of the three columns, select motion to intervene
- Click next
- Enter docket number (ex: PennEast Application for Amendment Docket Number: CP19-78-000)
- Click next
- Under the Select column, click the plus sign
- Click next
- In the description box, write Motion to Intervene of [your name] for the PennEast Pipeline Project Application for Amendment
- Choose file: upload PDF (must be PDF!) (see sample text below)
- Click upload
- Click next (you don’t need to select anything else)
- Affiliation box: If you are affiliated with an organization, write it here, if not, leave this space blank
- contact email
- Click next
- Add a signer, select yourself
- Click next
- Provide/edit the description of your submission as you choose
- Confirm that information is accurate
- Click submit
You can also intervene by mail. To do so, you must send
- An original copy of the motion to intervene
- Three copies of the motion to intervene
- Send to: Federal Energy Regulatory Commission, 888 First Street, N.E., Washington, DC 20426
Sample Petition Language – yellow identifies where information must be added:
UNITED STATES OF AMERICA BEFORE THE FEDERAL ENERGY REGULATORY COMMISSION
PennEast Pipeline Company, LLC ) Docket No. CP19-78-000
PennEast Pipeline Project )
MOTION FOR LEAVE TO INTERVENE
Pursuant to Rules 212 and 214 of the Federal Energy Regulatory Commission's (“Commission”) Rules of Practice and Procedure, 18 C.F.R. § 385.212 and 385.214 (2007), I, name here, files this motion to intervene in this proceeding.
On September 24, 2015, the PennEast Pipeline Company, LLC (“PennEast”) filed its application under § 7 of the Natural Gas Act, 15 U.S.C. § 717f, and § 157 of FERC’s regulations, 18 C.F.R. § 157.1 et seq., for the proposed PennEast Pipeline Project, FERC Docket No. CP15-558-000.
On February 1, 2019, the PennEast Pipeline Company, LLC, filed an application under section 7(c) of the Natural Gas Act, 15 U.S.C. § 717f, and § 157 of the Commissions’ regulations to amend the certificate of public convenience and necessity and related authorizations issues by the Commission on January 19, 2018 in Docket No. CP15-558-000. This application proposes a series of changes to the Project route approved as conditioned in the Certificate Order, noticed in FERC Docket No. CP19-78-000.
I. Communications and Service
All communications, pleadings, and orders with respect to this proceeding should be sent to the following individual:
Provide your name,
II. Interest of Petitioner
Construction, operation and maintenance of the Pipeline would adversely impact me.
Provide paragraphs on how construction of the pipeline will adversely impact you:
e.g. how might it affect your home and family
how it might affect natural resources important to you and how it will impact your enjoyment of those natural resources
how it might affect your work
how it might affect the ways you use your property
how it might impact your community and how that will adversely impact you
I have important information and perspectives to bring to this process, consideration of which will serve the public interest.
Wherefore, I, give your name, respectfully requests that the Commission to grant my Motion to Intervene as a party with full rights to participate in all further proceedings.
Your Name and address