Urge Delaware Representatives to Defend the Coastal Zone Act
We need your help to protect Delaware’s Coast and to ensure the Coastal Zone Act is not weakened by a recently proposed amendment!
Delaware’s Coastal Zone Act (CZA) seeks to protect the natural environment of the coastal zone for recreation and tourism. But a bill (HB 190), recently proposed by Representative Osienski and others, contains disturbing amendments to the CZA that would allow:
- New heavy industry and bulk product transfer facilities in the Coastal Zone.
- Multiple heavy industries to be sited dangerously close to one another
The proposed amendments to the Coastal Zone Act would weaken the protections for Delaware’s coastline, including in Delaware Bay, and undermine the purpose of the Coastal Zone Act by allowing for heavy industry development on grandfathered sites where it should be prohibited. It is important to note that on grandfathered sites in the Coastal Zone not all development is prohibited, only new heavy industry and bulk product transfer facilities. Other job creating options have always been allowed.
HB 190 does not best protect the people of Delaware or the environment, and it jeopardize the hundreds of millions of dollars Delaware receives via tourism.
The House Natural Resources Committee will meet to discuss the bill on June 7 at 3:30 in the House Chamber.
- Attend the meeting and have your voice heard!
- Call or meet with your state representatives immediately! You can locate your representatives by inputting you address here: http://legis.delaware.gov/
CALL your Representatives or attend the hearing to tell them you do NOT support HB 190 and weakening Delaware’s Coastal Zone Act. Urge them to withdrawal the bill.
Talking points for your written or oral testimony, or call:
- HB 190 should be withdrawn immediately.
- A study of the CZA’s environmental and economic benefits should be conducted prior to any changes to the Act.
- A robust public process must take place prior to advancing any changes to the Coastal Zone Act that has served Delaware so well for so long.
To learn more review this helpful opinion piece: 3 Myths About Coastal Zone Act Proposal, http://www.delawareonline.com/story/opinion/contributors/2017/06/02/3-myths-coastal-zone-act-proposal/366087001/