Jan. 23 Public Hearings on DRBC Draft Frack Rules and Proposed Ban
The Delaware River Basin Commission (DRBC) issued draft natural gas regulations on Nov. 30. They have set Public Hearings in 2 locations - Waymart PA on Jan. 23 and Philadelphia on Jan. 25, and added, after public cries for more public input, a hearing on Feb. 22 and a "moderated" telephone hearing on March 6. The public comment period has been expanded to March 30, 5:00 pm.
Even if you didn't register before Dec. 31, you can still sign up to attend and may still be able to speak at the January Hearings. Registration is open now for the other 2 sessions (see below). For the January Hearings, people can now register at the door of each Hearing or ahead of time on line, but you'll get in only if the room is not already full. So please register now! Another change DRBC made is that if speaking slots are still open during the Hearing, people may be able to speak even though they weren't pre-assigned a slot. For more details, read the DRBC notice.
When you get a request from DRBC for a speaker slot, be certain to respond to secure your 2 to 3 minutes (Yes, there really is second sign up step!)
Watch our January webinars to learn what the draft rules say and the proposed ban could mean.
- Webinar 1: The Fracking Ban (Completed, recording available here)
- Webinar 2: Water Extraction and Export (Completed, recording available here)
- Webinar 3: Frack Waste Processing and Discharge (Completed, recording available here)
We are providing you with a comprehensive list of talking points on the proposed ban and regulations here. You may use this information to help develop your testimony and written comments.
Please register on line immediately to testify at the links shown below, there is still room at every Hearing:
- January 23, 2018, 1:00 P.M. to 4:30 P.M.; Performing Arts & Recreation Center (PARC) Pavilion at the Ladore Camp, Retreat and Conference Center, 287 Owego Turnpike, Waymart, PA 18472 Register to attend.
- January 23, 2018, 6:00 P.M. to 9:30 P.M.; Performing Arts & Recreation Center (PARC) Pavilion at the Ladore Camp, Retreat and Conference Center, 287 Owego Turnpike, Waymart, PA 18472 Register to attend.
- January 25, 2018, 1:00 p.m. to 4:30 p.m.; Doubletree by Hilton Hotel Philadelphia Airport, 4509 Island Avenue, Philadelphia, PA 19153; Register to attend.
- January 25, 2018, 6:00 p.m. to 9:30 p.m.; Doubletree by Hilton Hotel Philadelphia Airport, 4509 Island Avenue, Philadelphia, PA 19153; Register to attend.
- February 22, 2018, 3 p.m. to 7 p.m.; Lisa Scheller-Wayne Woodman Community Services Center, Lehigh Carbon Community College, 4525 Education Park Dr., in Schnecksville, Pa. Register to attend
- March 6, 2018, 1:30 p.m. to 3:30 p.m.; The commission will host a moderated public hearing by telephone. Members of the public are encouraged to listen by calling 1-866-831-8713 and asking the operator to connect them to the DRBC call. Register to address the commission
Click here to access the current version of our talking points. Watch this event for announcements.
We are demanding a substantial expansion of the public input process, which is very restrictive in both the written submissions and the Hearing availability and unjustly limits public access on this critical issue. See the letter signed by 109 organizations, which has led to some comment and hearing expansion, but we still want more. The draft regulations propose a ban on high volume hydraulic fracturing throughout the Delaware River Basin but also would allow the discharge of frack wastewater in the Watershed and the export of water out of the basin for fracking elsewhere.
We are demanding a complete ban on gas drilling, fracking, and all of its related activities throughout the Delaware River Watershed. It makes no sense to ban fracking but allow the discharge of frack wastewater and allow the depletion of the Watershed's water for fracking.
Stay up to date with our Facebook Event here.